Welcome to TOWARDS A PHILOSOPHY OF PHOTOGRAPHY!!
You may (or may not) have received a previous class letter….if so, please disregard! It is outdated, and from a previous incarnation of the class, and like any collective entity, we are completely unique, and unlike any other. So all bets are off!
To those of you whose company has never graced my classroom:
- Please send me that introduction letter! Tell me anything you would like me to know about who you are, where you are from, why you are here….and what you have been doing. Let me know what has been working for you here at ICP, and what has been missing. Also please let me know your native tongue, and how comfortable you are reading in English.
To my returning little starlings:
- How are you? I am so pleased to see you again, each and every one. To see your names on the roster fills me with delight at the lively and provocative conversations and thought experiments we will have. That said, if I have not seen you since the fall, please let me know what I have missed…and what you are happy about and what you are missing.
For ALL OF YOU:
- Please let me know if you have read any of the following texts, or if any of the names/terms ring a bell (if so, give me some feedback and free association…if not, do not worry..we will explore together)
INTO THE WORLD OF MECHANICAL IMAGES Vilem Flusser
THE WORK OF ART IN THE AGE OF MECHANICAL REPRODUCTION Walter Benjamin
A SHORT HISTORY OF PHOTOGRAPHY Walter Benjamin
THE PRECESSION OF SIMULACRA Jean Baudrillard
THE CYBORG MANIFESTO
Temporary Autonomous Zone
- I would also love to know if you have any specific hopes or expectations for the class, but please save these to share together in class discussion on the first day. No need to write it down, just think and dream.
- Also please let me know your preferred email for contact etc….
- Before class begins, I would like to set up an online space for the class. I need to share readings, changes, etc. You need to share images, found objects, experiences, videos and talks. I am setting up a simple wordpress site—that is what has worked best in the past, but I am open to ANYTHING—Facebook page, tumbler, foursquare….we just need to be able to share with each other efficiently. Please send me an email from your preferred email for this site, and for general contact.
- FINALLY: TEXTBOOK 🐿🐒🐱
I would like each of you to purchase one book for the class: TOWARDS A PHILOSOPHY OF PHOTOGRAPHY by Vilem Flusser
I have 4 copies available in English at a slightly discounted price, $14. First come, First served….
Also, if you would like to read this book in your native tongue, it is available in many languages, including Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin and Japanese. Please let us know if you would like help locating it.
As to the contact info for the TA’s. I am your teacher and I should always be your first line of inquiry. That said we have wonderful TA’s and Nitzan, Izabela and I are a lovely team….if you do not hear from me promptly then forward a copy to them as sometimes email is a mysterious mechanism…
We are going to have a wonderful time together…and I am going to show you that theory is one of the most fun things you can do without breaking any laws….